Saturday, January 14, 2006

Rio Resolution Run

Happy New Year! 2006

What does an athlete do to ring in the New Year?? Run a hilly 6.5mile race of course; when she hasn't run hills or track work. Basically to get her lazy butt off the couch, stop eating chocolate and junk food and get back into race shape.
So, at 9am on 1-1-06 the race started. It was a drizzly morning and a bit cold but I figured I'd warm up quickly on the uphill trails. I soon found myself in the lead (for the women). I kept my pace strong throughout the course even when the wind whipped up and felt like a wall pushing me backwards. I pushed it in to the finish to place first women with a time of 40:06 only 5 seconds ahead of 2nd place!
Want to know how I knew I was out of shape??? I was SOOO sore for 4 days afterwards!!
This race was just the kick in the pants I needed to start my early season training. After I took a few days easy of course.
I hope your New Year's Day was as rewarding as mine was!

No comments: