Sunday, May 11, 2008

Preservestock

May 11, 2008
Santa Lucia Preserve

Everyone who knows me knows that I like my road wheels planted firmly on the pavement and only when I have to, I'll ride a mountain bike. So, for some of you, this will come as a shock...hold on to your saddles...I competed in a very small (approximately 20 participants) mountain bike




Sharon & Mike getting my loaner bike ready

sprint triathon on saturday in the ultra-plush, ultra-private Santa Lucia Preserve in Carmel Valley, CA.
Danielle Pre-Race

This is the 3rd year that this race, music festival and lunch has been going on and we are lucky to be invited each year. The distances are ~400m swim, 10 mi bike & 3 mi run. We had a few of our team members from Monterey Bay Multisport and athletes from Sharon's triathlon class at MPC compete including Sharon (co-owner), Mike D., Ana E., Sam & Danielle. We all finished and I think only one person went down, but was still able to finish; with only a few scrapes.

We swam without wetsuits in the 67 degree water; I rode Sharon's daughter's mountain mike and shoes that were a size too big; and I ran in my own gear!! Go figure. I can see why people enjoy mt. bike riding...the adrenaline and rush and technique that one must have and that I clearly lacked! I don't know if I'll do another mt. bike race again, expect maybe this one next year.

The music & lunch spread was awesome! It was nice to relax with friends in warm sunshine, eat & listen to music.


Fred & Sharon getting ready




Mike & I freakin' out before the Race...seriously...we were

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I've still never mtn biked. Scares the crap out of me! Still, looks like you all had fun. It's nice to just have fun races sometimes. :)