Thursday, September 14, 2006

PG Triathlon

PG Elite Awards

September 9, 2006
PG Tri

It's that time of year for the PG Triathlon. I was excited not only to race, but I had two friends who were coming to compete at this race for the first time, Beth Hibbard and Flo Chretien. The three of us have been racing together for at least 4 years and it was great to have them here in my hometown.

Erin & I before her race

Saturday morning, Jay left early as he was swimming in a relay with Taylor Tolleson (cycling) and Mikah (running). Flo, Beth and I hung around the house and waited anxiously until 10am before riding down to Lover's Point. It was only a 3 mile ride down there, but was enough to get the legs moving. After setting up transition and checking in we went for a short run of about 10 minutes and then proceeded to the water for a short, cold swim warm up. The pro men left about 15 minutes before we did.

Mom was 1st in her age group

There were 13 women who started and finished the race. I started out the swim in a good position, but found myself locked between a few girls, so decided to roll over one of them to get in a clear spot...I happened to roll over Flo!! We laughed about it afterwards. I soon found myself caught between two packs and swimming by myself. I exited the water after the first loop and saw the girl infront of me. I was gaining on the girl towards the end and exited only 8 seconds behind her. My time was 22:42. I had a quick transition and left before Erika (the girl who exited the swim before me) did. I didn't know how many women were ahead of me but as usual, I was in the chase. Erika rode up to me and we worked for a while before I pulled away and continued my quest for the next person...who happened to be my friend and phenomenal swimmer, Linda Gallo. The two of us worked for a while and by this time I could see who was ahead of me, Becky, Sarah, Evelyn, Maliaka and Karen. Linda stayed with me for a while and I could here she was really working. Unfortunately, she couldn't hang (she sliced her foot awile back at the half vineman and is still recovering) and I again found myself alone. I continued to push the pace until I reached Karen and the two of us worked together. I looked back at one point and there was no Karen; alone and now the wind is starting to pick up on the 3rd loop. I saw behind a chase pack of Flo, Beth, Kelly, & Linda and with every loop I think they were gaining on me. I kept pushing the pace and noticed on the last lap the Evelyn had dropped Malaika and had caught up with Sarah and the two of them were working together. With ~2 miles to go to the finish, I caught Malaika and we worked briefly until we reached T2. My bike time was 1:07:37 which is 22 mph and good enough for the second fastest bike split after Becky with a 1:04:42!

Dad won his age group too!

I entered first but had some trouble getting my run shoes on, so Malaika headed onto the run first. I got myself together and gave chase and within a minute or so caught and passed her. My legs didn't feel too bad when I started, but they weren't the get up and go that I've had in the past. I didn't want anyone to catch me, but I didn't know if I could catch any of the girls ahead of me. I was in 4th place heading onto the run and I at least wanted to keep that. After the first loop I noticed that Kelly was gaining on me. I worked the 2nd loop as best I could and at the closest I think Kelly was about 30 seconds behind me. It took everything I had, both mentally and physically, during that last loop to push myself as hard as I could. I could feel liquids in my gut sloshing around as well as side cramps that wouldn't go away. I knew though that if I could make it up 12th street one last time with enough of a gap and run down 13th street with gravity that the crowd on Ocean View Blvd. would carry me to the finish line holding onto 4th...which I did! I ran my heart out and everyone at the finish could tell I put it all out there that day. Kelly finished only 14 seconds behind me to take 5th place.
My run time was 38:17 for a total time of 2:10:40.

Me at the Awards

Don, once of the race announcers wanted an interview after I crossed the line, but it would have to wait as I doubled over with abdominal pain...luckily nothing came out and with a few minutes of recovery I was standing beside Don for an after finish interview.

Erin-pre race

My next race will be at the end of this month at Tinley's Toughest down at Lake Lopez in San Luis Obispo.

Pictures to come soon.

No comments: